This story bucket is based on a sensory story from the Twinkl website. It follows the pattern of the popular story ‘We’re going on a bear hunt’ but with a polar bear theme. The obstacles involve sensory experiences which encourage pupils with PMLD and SLD (including those with visual impairment) to communicate.
- Chime bells for the ‘uh-oh’ bit before each obstacle.
- A drum for the ‘we’re going on a bear hunt’ bit.
- Crackling foot spray and sculpting bath foam for a ‘snow drift’ experience.
- Fluffy snow balls and trays of insta-snow for the ‘snow storm’.
- Ice cubes for ‘icicles’.
- Echo mics, torches and mirrors for ‘cave’.
- Thunder drum and space blankets.
- Soft Polar Bear toy for ‘polar bear’.
The creation of the story bucket:
The polar bear toy was from IKEA. Chime bells, drums, echo mics, thunder drum, mirrors and torches were all found in school. I covered the bucket and bucket apron with foil and the handle with silver tinsel. The sculpting bath foam and crackling foot spray can both be found in Boots. The crackling foot spray is cheaper online. Space blankets are from the camping or sports shop and are fairly cheap. The snowballs were from Wilko (snow ball game), white shower sponges and wool pompoms made by a member of staff.
My pupils are working between P levels 1 and 4. These sensory experiences provide opportunities for:
- Communicating likes and dislikes
- Communicating more/no more
- Anticipating points in a familiar story
- Exploring and developing tolerance for tactile stimuli
- Tracking sounds (drum and thunder drum) and light source (torch)
- Exploring own reflection in mirror/developing sense of self
- Developing language (e.g. white, cold, more) for those working at P4.